A Frappuccino and latter differ significantly from each other, from the ingredients to the preparation. Also, the taste and texture of those drinks are different.
Frappuccinos are a line of frozen coffee drinks from Starbucks made with their Frapp roast; then ingredients like ice, whole milk, syrup, and a coffee base are blended. Finally, whipped cream is added to this drink.
There are far fewer ingredients in a latte. A latte is a traditional hot coffee beverage originating from Italy. This drink involves adding warm milk to two separate espresso shots, topped with foamy milk. Now that we have clarified what a Frappuccino and latte are, let’s explore five differences between a Frappuccino and a latte.
Frappuccino Vs. Latte: 5 Differences
Temperature is perhaps the main difference between a Frappuccino and a latte, and it affects the texture of the two drinks.
A Frappuccino is a cold blended coffee beverage, and while lattes can be served with ice, they are traditionally served hot.
In addition, lattes require pulled espresso shots, while coffee in a Frappuccino is premade and put in a bender along with ice.
Frappuccinos require room-temperature coffee to prevent the ice from melting before blending. This gives the drink a thicker texture than if you added hot coffee.
Also, Frappuccinos call for a higher fat content like whole milk or half, making the drink thicker.
On the other hand, you can make lattes with skimmed milk, whole milk, and even milk alternatives like rice and almond milk.
A classic latte consists of 300ml of steamed milk to a double espresso (60ml) shot. It is topped off with a small foam to give the latte its creamy and slightly sweet coffee flavor.
A Frappuccino, on the other hand, consists of two pumps of a coffee base or crème base for decaff, its’ blended with ice, has flavored syrups, and it’s topped with whipped cream and spices.
As a result, a Frappuccino will generally have more calories than a latte. For example, a latte can have about 200 calories, while a Frappuccino can have over 400 calories.
3. Consistency And Taste
Frappuccinos have a thicker and creamier consistency than a latte; they are colder and not as smooth as lattes. In addition, Frappuccinos contain small ice chips giving them a gritter texture profile.
Frappuccinos tend to be sweeter than latte due to the flavored syrups.
However, lattes offer a more intense coffee flavor than Frappuccinos because water is added to the Frappuccino as ice which significantly waters down the flavor of the coffee flavor.
Also, lattes use intense espresso instead of instant coffee.
4. Caffeine level
Lattes have more caffeine than Frappuccinos. Lattes contain 75 to 150 mg of caffeine, depending on your order size. Frappuccinos range from 65 to 125 mg.
5. How They Are Made
Lattes and Frappuccinos are made in different ways, and it’s essential to know how they are made to understand their differences truly:
How To Make A Latte
The ingredients you will need to make a latte are:
- Steamed milk
- Milk milk
You will need the following equipment:
- Coffee machine with a steam wand
- Coffee beans
- Milk jug
- Cloth for the portafilter
Prepare the espresso. Begin by pulling out the portafilter and wiping it to ensure it’s dry. Next, start your grinder to make a shot.
Please make sure the coffee bed is flat, and distribute your coffee by giving it a few taps on either side. Next, tamp the coffee by pushing it down at a 90-degree angle, keeping it nice and flat.
Finally, lock in the portafilter and start your espresso shot. Watch how the shot runs; it should take between 38 to 40 seconds for a double shot.
Pour the milk in the pitcher, and ensure the wand cloth is moist.
Purge the steam wand and bring it up to the straight position. Put the pitcher nozzle in alignment with the steam wand.
Make sure the wand nozzle is in the center of the milk jug and just below the surface of the milk. Angle the pitcher slightly to optimize the whirlpool.
Turn on the wand. Bring the nozzle just below the surface to go deeper into the milk. Ensure the nozzle doesn’t touch the bottom of the milk jug.
Get the jug in the correct position where the milk whirlpool is created and keep heating the milk until it reaches 131 to 143.6
Swirl the milk in the jug until it is silky, smooth, and shiny.
Pour the milk into your shot, keeping back some of the foam; you can put a little of it on top of the steamed milk.
How To Make A Frappuccino (At Home)
Before you begin making a Frappuccino, there are some things you must do first:
CHILL A MUG OR GLASS
One of the finest ways to serve a delicious coffee drink is to chill a glass or mug. It isn’t necessary, but it completes the beverage when it’s done.
Add your glass or mug to the freezer and leave it overnight. The frost on the mug will create a delicious touch to the drink.
Gather Your Ingredients
Make sure you have the necessary ingredients. Below is a list of everything you require for this easy and tasty Frappuccino recipe:
- 1 Cup of coffee – You can get espresso or coffee; the choice is yours. It is essential for the coffee to be strong to stand up to the sweet flavors.
- 2 Cups of ice – Crushed ice is preferable. However, you can always put ice cubes in a freezer bag and use the back of a metal spoon to break up the ice. Next, consider putting the cubed ice into a blender.
- Three-quarters of a cup of milk – Use your preferred milk variety. However, whole milk is best.
- 2 tbsp. Sweetener – Choose any sweetener you like, granulated sugar is the easiest, but you can always choose stevia, agave, or honey.
- Whipped Cream – This will do nicely.
Additional flavorings to consider:
- Java Frappuccino – These are chocolate chips that can be added to the drink’s base.
- Mocha Frappuccino – This is a cocoa powder. You can add 3 tbsp of this cocoa powder to the base of your drink before blending. You can add chocolate sauce as a topping to the whipped cream.
- Caramel Frappuccino is a caramel sauce that you can add to the drink’s base before blending, or you can add it to the top of the whipped cream.
1. Brew The Coffee
Begin making your coffee according to your chosen brewing method; you can opt for espresso. However, take note the coffee must be strong.
If you choose weak coffee, the flavors won’t come through the milk, sweeteners, and flavorings.
2. Blend The Ingredients
Once the coffee is finished, put all ingredients into a blender, except for the whipped cream and additional toppings. Combine ice, milk, coffee, spices, and sweetener.
If you don’t own a blender, you can mix the ingredients by hand. Ensure all the ingredients are blended well.
Add the chocolate chips to the blender to make a Java Frappuccino. If you prefer a flavored cappuccino, have the necessary ingredients.
3. Add Your Toppings
Once thoroughly blended with all the ingredients, pour the liquid into a chilled mug. Add your squirty cream and additional toppings if preferred.
If you want a caramel Frappuccino, you must add the caramel sauce to the top of the drink.
4. Serve Immediately
After all of that hard work, you can finally enjoy your cappuccino. Serve the beverage immediately so that you don’t give it time to melt. Depending on the thickness, you may require a spoon or a straw.
A Review Of Additional Ingredients
Apart from the whipped cream, other flavorings and toppings are optional to make a Frappuccino. The following ingredients include:
- Java Frappuccino – You can add one handful of these chocolate chips to the base of your drink before blending.
- Mocha Frappuccino – 3 Tbsp. of this cocoa powder can be added to the base of your drink before blending.
- You can add chocolate sauce to the whipped cream as a topping.
- Caramel Frappuccino – 1 Tbsp. Caramel sauce can be added to the base of your drink before blending, or you can add it to the top of the whipped cream.
There are many differences between a latte and a Frappuccino. A latte is a classic coffee beverage, and anyone can make it anywhere as the name was never trademarked.
Frappuccinos are a line of delicious, blended ice coffee drinks, and they can only be sold by Starbucks or establishments permitted to sell them.
Both beverages can be easily made at home, depending on what you’re in the mood for. You can make a Frappuccino any time, but they will be incredibly delicious as the weather gets warmer – something to look forward to.
- What Makes Brazilian Coffee Different Than American?
- What Does Single Origin Coffee Mean? Detailed Guide
- Is An Expensive Coffee Grinder Worth It? Tried And Tested
- 3 Key Differences Between a Macchiato And an Americano
- Do Chocolate and Coffee Come From the Same Bean? Myth Busted
- 8 Reasons Why Children Shouldn’t Drink Decaf Coffee
- What Is A Dual Boiler Espresso Machine? 2 Crucial Features You Should Know
- 2 Primary Differences Between A Frappe And A Macchiato
- Does Roasting Coffee Affect Caffeine Content? Baristas Guide
- 4 Reasons Why Pour Over Coffee Is Better Than Drip